Oregon is a state that is specified in the Pacific Northwest of the western unites states. It is one of the largest geographically diverse states all over the U.S. It is one of the most beautiful states in the whole U.S. Although the education system of Oregon is one of the top education systems, the only education field which lacks behind is the availability of medical schools.
- If you are planning to take admitted into a medical school, in Oregon state, you must know that there are just 2 medical schools in Oregon.
- The two medical schools in Oregon are – Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) and College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest (COMP).
- It means that both schools have high competition levels.
However, you must read till the end so that you can get a better understanding of medical Colleges in Oregon.
List of colleges in Oregon
Depending upon which profession you have you will have to take like pediatric, vet, PA, etc you will have to decide the school. Also, every region has its own medical school like Hawaii, Virginia, Ohio, Washington DC, Philadelphia, etc. As discussed above there are only two colleges in Oregon-
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
This university was originally founded in 1887 and has around 1750 professionals in it. There are various programs including MD and PhD programs that you can find at the university. It also has a wide range of research projects and a top research centre, especially for Biomedicines. At this university, you get to connect with those with advanced knowledge of modern medicine.
This university believes in spreading medical knowledge on a big level. The main aim of the school is to help students from underprivileged sections. University has an endowment of about $826.7 million. The university will help you to become a leading doctor and will help you gain all the required knowledge and skills. The tuition fee for attending this university is $42,125(in-state) and $63,682 (out-of-state) and the acceptance rate of the university is 2.28%.
The following are the requirements if you want to enter this school –
- Average overall GPA – 3.65
- Average Science GPA – 3.58
- Average MCAT Score – 509
- You must have taken the CASPer test which you need to take when you are applying to the university.
- At least two letters of recommendation.
- You need to complete a bachelor’s degree in the related field.
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest (COMP)
This university is a non-profit organization that was founded in 2011, making it just a decade older. It is the extension of California’s renowned College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Although you should not miss the fact that this school has already given a lot of the best doctors in the medical sciences. As a student at COMP, you will perform different lab projects, and research projects, learn the use of technology, etc.
When you start doing your residence program at this university then you will get to work with various technology systems and also get to work with a diverse population. The DO degree will help you to know how to work with patients and how to improve medical healthcare facilities. The tuition fee for attending this university is $59,600 and the acceptance rate of the university is 3.7%. If you really want to get into the university you must try to send a med school diversity essay, or supplemental application.
If you are thinking of applying to medical school, you can think of applying at the age of 28 so that you can get the time to decide if you really want to enter. The following are the requirements if you want to enter this school –
- Average overall GPA (both weighted and unweighted)- 3.65
- Average Science GPA – 3.58
- Average MCAT Score – 507
- the CASPer test which you need to take when you are applying to the university is also a requirement at this university
- At least two letters of recommendation
- You need to complete a bachelor’s degree along with the related subjects.
Tips on how to get admission to the medical schools in Oregon
- Start applying as early as you can. This will help you to know any important date or update on the application.
- Check the requirements of the application in the respective school. Collect all the important information for filling up the form.
- Try to keep the GPA and MCAT above the required one. Remember both schools are highly competitive and having an average GPA and MCAT may not help you to get into the school.
- You must take part in extracurricular activities that are related to the course. You can take part in volunteer projects or internships that will also help you to earn the required number of patient hours and letters of recommendation.
- Try to focus on skills like honesty, respect, integrity, etc in your statement or essay while sending the application.
- Try taking up the Special Master’s Programs, which will help you to enter the university.
- If you live in Kansas City, you will have to go to UMKC which is one of the best universities in the city.
- If you do not want to apply to the university just because of the high tuition fees, try to look for different ways by which you can afford medical school.
Oregon is a state that only has two medical schools which are the region Health and Science University and the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Getting admission to these universities is tough as the acceptance rate is quite high. Also as there are only two schools in Oregon, the competition is high. This article provides detailed information about the requirements of both schools and how can you get into these schools.
Is it hard to get into Oregon medical school?
There are only two medical schools in Oregon. This makes the school more competitive to get in. Also, both schools have a very low acceptance rate i.e 2.28% and 3.7%. The numbers themselves show how tough it is to get admitted to Oregon medical schools. Though you need to have a GPA of more than 3.4, there are different medical schools that will accept you with a 3.4 GPA.
Do the medical schools in Oregon accept international/transfer students?
No, neither Oregon Health and Science University nor the College of Osteopathic Medicine does not accept international as well as transfer students. However, the College of Osteopathic Medicine does accept international students only on their California campus. This is the same case for transfer students. You can also get into the