As a student, you must have seen a lot of different professors in your higher academics like assistant professors, associate professors, etc. But have you ever wondered about becoming a professional professor? Although becoming one is hard but you must also know the age of them. Thus here we will help you to know more about the first stage of becoming a tenured professor that is an assistant professor i.e. assistant professor and also discuss on what is the average age of an assistant professor.
- An assistant professor is one who is hired on a probationary basis and is working on a path to get a tenured position.
- The average age of a professor is around 43.
- Some of the common skills that you must have are – Communication skills, teaching skills, problem-solving skills, etc.
However, you must read till the end so that you get a proper understanding of the assistant professor and also about the age of the one.
Who is an assistant professor?
An assistant professor is one who is hired on a probationary basis and is working on a path to get a tenured position. It is a lower rank than the associate professor. As an assistant professor, you will be responsible for teaching the students, mentoring them, giving them grades, etc. In addition to that you may also need to take part in various publications and work with different researchers. Further, you may be evaluated on the basis of how well he was doing in the classroom and what the students were saying about you.
What is the average age of an assistant professor?
It will take you 6 to 10 years to become an assistant professor without getting a tenure. Once you get opposition you will have to work for 5 to 6 years to get a tenured position depending upon the contract you have with the institution. However, there may be some factors that may affect when you will be getting your tenure position like the subject you teaching or the number of years you have worked with installation.
You may also need to have experience before applying to the position which may take even more years. Thus the average age at which you can become a professor is around 35-45 years. It means that the average age of a professor is around 43.
What are the skills for becoming an assistant professor?
Following are the skills that you must have to become an assistant professor-
- Communicational skills: Being a professional means that you will have to communicate with a lot of other professors as well as students. Therefore you must have great communication skills to make the interactions easier.
- Teaching skills: Your main job is to teach the students at a higher level of education. There you must have great teaching skills.
- Problem-solving skills: You will have to deal with a lot of different problems or questions asked by students. Therefore, you must have quick problem-solving skills so that you can easily answer those queries.
- Leadership: Remember that you are leading a class full of students and therefore having leadership qualities is very important.
- Patience: As an assistant professor you will have to deal with students having different caliber and therefore you must have patience.
How to become an assistant professor?
Becoming an assistant professor is similar to becoming a normal professor. Thus, further are the steps given for becoming a professor-
- Starting with you will have to complete your undergraduate degree in the subject you want to teach. Sports if you want to teach mathematics your undergraduate degree should be in that subject or a related subject.
- Once you get your undergraduate degree the next step is to go to graduate school. It is very hard to get into graduate school as you will have to gain some letters of recommendation or some experience. When you get into graduate school you will have to complete your master’s degree in the subject you want to teach.
- Although, some colleges all the universities mein allow you to work as a professor with a master’s degree you will have to get a PhD for most of the professors.
- Therefore the next step is to get the Ph.D. degree to increase your knowledge and gain expertise in it.
- Once you complete your PhD try to work on more publications or research work. It will help to increase your chances of getting selected for the position.
- Now you are eligible to apply to different positions. Check out different portals and start applying for becoming a professor.
What is the job outlook for the assistant professor position?
According to various research assistant professor is a great job and have a huge capability of increasing in the market. The increasing growth for this job career is around 11% for the next decade. It is expected that around 150,000 new jobs will increase in the next decade. The number of openings shows how much growth will be in the field of becoming an assistant professor.
Does age play an important role in getting employed as a university professor?
Well, it is not necessary that your age will impact your employment role at the University. Starting with there are professors who start in their early 30s and there are professors who start even after 60. Therefore we can say that age to not really play an important role in getting hired as a professor. It is because to become a great professor you must have good teaching skills and publications irrespective of your age. However, some institutions may want a specific age for you to hire as an assistant professor.
Assistant professor is a lower rank than the associate professor. They are the one who is hired on a probationary basis and is working on a path to get a tenured position. However, the average age of the assistant professor is around 43. It is because there are many factors that may affect when you will be hired for the position. The skills you will need to become a professor are communication skills, leadership skills, problem-solving skills, etc. Also, the Job outlook for this role is expected to increase by 11% in the next decade. Thus if you are thinking of becoming an assistant professor, then you should definitely try becoming one.
Can a 26-year-old be a professor?
There is no restriction on the age of becoming a professor. You can become a professor at any age and you will only need to fill in the requirements of different institutions. It means that you must have at least a master’s degree to become a professor at a higher institution. Further, we can say that you can become a professor at 26 but it will be hard for you to become one.
What is the maximum age limit for an assistant professor?
Just like there is no age limit for becoming an assistant professor there is no maximum limit for becoming a professor. It is because there are some professors who start at the age of 40 and there are some professors who may get their first academic job after they turn 60.