Getting to a new institution fills you with both excitement and nervousness. Of course, you will feel excited about meeting new friends and professors, getting into new classes, etc. However, meeting new friends and professors not only creates excitement but a great pressure on you. It is because you will need to develop your relationship with both of them. In such a scenario it is important for you to know some of the questions to ask research professor so that you can easily interact with them. Here we will help you to know some of the common questions that can help you to start a quick conversation with the research professor.
Do you have any instances in mind that may help to clarify this concept to us?
- Research professors are the individuals in the academics who are at the highest rank and are experts in their chosen fields.
- The top 5 common questions to ask research professors are-
What do you consider to be this subject’s most significant issue?
What are some of this subject’s ethical implications?
How has your perspective on this matter changed over time?
Do you know of any current studies or research initiatives on this subject?
However, you must read till the end so that you can get many more questions that you can ask from a research professor.
Who is a research professor?
Research professors are the individuals in the academics who are at the highest rank and are experts in their chosen fields. Research professors will have to take part in the various researches going on. They must have great knowledge and must be highly innovative in the research going on. They will also be responsible for mentoring the students who are participating in some kind of research project. But the biggest problem that most students have is how to connect with their professors. Thus next section will help you to know what questions you can ask your research professors.
What are the questions to ask research professor?
When you get a new roommate it is hard for you to get connected with them and thus you must know some questions to ask from the roommate. Similarly, when you get a new research processor you must know some questions to ask them. Thus, the following are the questions to ask the research professor–
- Do you have any instances in mind that may help to clarify this concept to us?
- What do you consider to be this subject’s most significant issue?
- What are some of this subject’s ethical implications?
- How has your perspective on this matter changed over time?
- Do you know of any current studies or research initiatives on this subject?
- What do you see for this subject’s future?
- Do you typically assign assignments to your students, or do you prefer that they choose their own?
- How much freedom do I have to choose the projects I want to work on?
- Do the students in your lab take any particular courses?
- Are lectures or discussions more prevalent in your classes?
- Which of the questions you were asked as a professor was the best?
- What part of conducting this research has been the most challenging?
- Can I take part in your next research projects? (It will also help to make a good impression on your professor)
- What connections does your research have to practical uses?
- What papers are the results of your study?
- What strategy do you use when testing hypotheses in your research?
- What prospects do you see for your research’s future?
- Can you describe a surprising finding you made while conducting your research?
- How do you stay updated with the most recent studies and advancements in your field?
- Do you have any specific projects in mind for me to work on?
- What motivated you to pursue a career in academia?
- What aspects of teaching do you find most enjoyable?
- What kind of teacher are you?
- What, in your opinion, should students take away most from your class?
- Can you tell me about a recent criticism of your research and how you handled it?
- How can you ensure that your study is environmentally responsible?
- What current event or social topic is the most pertinent to your research?
- Have you worked on this project with any other researchers or institutions?
- How do you deal with bad findings or dead ends in your research?
- Have you encountered any significant difficulties in your research, and how did you overcome them?
- How do you include peer or mentor input into your research?
- If at all, how does your research address diversity and inclusion?
- How do you deal with the stress or strain that comes with high-level research?
- How has technology altered your approach to research over time?
- Can you describe an instance when you had to change your research methodology or completely rethink your approach?
- What advice would you give to your younger self if you could travel back in time?
- Could you please inform me about your research supervision experience?
- What are some of the most heated disputes or conflicts in your profession right now, and how does your research address them?
- Could you explain how your research is funded?
- How do you choose which research issue to investigate next?
The research professor is the one who will be participating in one or more research projects. They will help you in your research projects and will also need to take part in various ongoing research. As a student it is very important that you interact with your research professors thus you must know some of the questions to ask the research professor. Asking them questions like how they got interested in the subject, what is the future of the subject, etc., will help you a lot in forming a relationship with your research professor.