Kindergarten teacher assistants also known as teacher aides, paraprofessionals, or instructional aides work with kindergarten teachers by that the class runs more efficiently and the result is more effective. The kindergarten assistant teacher guides the student by working with them individually or in small groups of the teacher to make their concept stronger. Assistant teachers should care about the students on the playground, on buses, and in the lunchroom. As we know children of this age are being taught to grasp things easily and have more energy as they are impulsive so the job of the kindergarten teacher assistant is a much more stressful job. But how to become a Kindergarten Teacher Assistant?
- According to the US BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS, a high school diploma is sufficient for some teacher assistant positions.
- However, it is dependent upon the state, district, or school.
- The skills required to become a kindergarten teacher assistant are – People skills, Patience, Communication skills, Organizational skills, and Instructional skills.
However, you must read till the end so that you get a great understanding of Kindergarten teacher assistant.
The objective of the kindergarten teacher assistant:
- The kindergarten teacher assistant’s role is to do everything possible to see the progress of each student under the direction of the lead teacher.
- The assistant teacher must make the concept stronger and make them understand the lesson taught by the lead teacher by helping the students by reviewing the study material of each student when they ask for it.
- They help them to Provide more learning support to students where it is necessary.
- If a student lacks in the study the assistant teacher develops extra materials and good material accordingly.
- Deliver customized learning activities to students either individually or in groups.
- Assist with the development of lesson plans and learning material.
- Before the lead teacher, the responsibilities of the assistant teacher are to get the study materials ready, set up equipment, and arrange the classroom environment. Assist the classroom teacher in observing the response of the student and the behavior.
- Helping the assistant to the teacher make the student follow the rule and regulations and make the environment free to study
How to Become a Kindergarten Teacher Assistant?
- Generally, the requirement to be a teacher assistant varies by state, district, and school. For example, there are special requirements to work in a low-income school. But a few states and districts require teacher assistants to be certified.
- According to the US BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS, a high school diploma is sufficient for some teacher assistant positions. But in another case, an associate degree or some college courses will be required.
- The main degree needed for Kindergarten teacher assistants is to have at least a high school diploma. Some states require an associate’s degree or college credits as well.
- Almost any degree field is acceptable for becoming a kindergarten teacher assistant. And the Certification is required to work in some schools and some districts that vary by state.
- Typically aspiring teacher assistants must earn an associate’s degree and have completed a certain number of college credit hours or have passed a paraprofessional exam. For those who choose to qualify for a few education, any credit degree program is usually expectable.
Skills required in a kindergarten teacher assistant:
The following are the skills required in a kindergarten teacher assistant-
- People skills
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Instructional skills
1. People skills:
A kindergarten teacher must have the people skills and ability to talk with people during the work in an easy way.
An assistant teacher should have patience level. How to deal with problems patiently, and often how tough the situation must be. The teacher should solve the problem without having anger issues.he/she must have the capacity to accept or tolerate delay or trouble.
3. Communication skills:
Communication skills include various skills in it like;
- Written communication by which the teacher should be able to convey the idea or message by the use of written language.
- In oral communication by this skill, the teacher has the skill to make the other person understand his/her thoughts through spoken language.
- Organizational skill This skill the assistant teacher should be aware of organizing the plan of the teacher which he/she is assisting so that all the work is done properly and easily and also complete without any confusion in work.
- Instructional skills the assistant should be able to demonstrate, able to give instructions and directions to the students, and also questions about the query if any.
How to Become a Kindergarten Teacher Assistant?
- These professional degrees vary from state to state. Typically an associate degree is enough by which you can easily get a job in a low-income school.
- But in some states or schools, the kindergarten teacher assistant must have proper experience in the job and be well certified with proper credit points from the institute. However, you must remember that you do need to have a PhD degree in English or any other subject to become a kindergarten teacher.
- The teacher must be qualified in any degree to be acceptable in this field for becoming a kindergarten teacher assistant.
- You must also remember the virtual tips for the students so that you can help them while you are in online teaching.
The salary of a kindergarten teacher’s assistants
The salary of kindergarten teacher assistants depends upon various factors such as the experience of the assistant, the location where the teaching assistant is working, the qualification of the person, and the degree obtained.
- The average salary of the teacher per hour is 11-20$
- The average salary of the teacher per year is $21k-41k
Why choose this as a career option?
- While doing the job the teacher can experience many good things.
- While assisting you will be able to see the progress of the students with whom you are working. How the children develop their abilities is something new and a good feeling for an assistant teacher.
- Also, this opens many career options within the education sector. If you are an experienced teacher with good qualifications you have the option with whom to work i.e with a wide group or a small group. If the good feedback on your profiles you can ask for the salary you expect from the school or state.
The kindergarten assistant teacher’s job is valuable. You all just need to be patient while dealing with the students. And after you see the progression in the children you have taught or been with them it will make you feel special and proud.