After completing your A-levels you must be confused between starting right away with the job or choosing to go to university. You must have gotten different opinions from everyone. Some may have suggested you go to the university whereas some may have discouraged you. Thus it is important for you to decide whether should you go to University.
- Before deciding whether you should go to the university or not, you must think of the advantages and the disadvantages of going to the university.
- Despite the cost of the tuition fee, you will be getting a degree that will help you to get a good job.
- When you are going to the university you may have to spend 3-4 years depending upon the course you have chosen.
However, to make you understand better whether you should go to the university or not, we have further discussed it in detail.
Should you go to university?
To know if you should go to the university or not, you must know the benefits and drawbacks of going to the university. You should remember when the university interview will take place. Following are the drawbacks and benefits that will help you to know whether you should go to the university or not-
The following are the benefits of going to the university-
- When you go to university and choose a specific subject to do a degree in you will gain specialized knowledge in the related subject. This will help you to secure a job in the related field.
- As discussed earlier, when you take a degree your chances of getting a job increase. Therefore going to University and getting a degree will help you to get a job in a specialized field and earn more money.
- Going to University will help you to gain transferable skills. You will be able to develop communication skills, critical thinking, teamwork, and leadership skills.
- When you are taking up a degree it will help you to broaden your mind. You can put your extra time into some extracurricular activities. These activities revolve around politics, sports, or maybe arts.
- When you take up a degree you will gain expertise in your favorite subject. This will help you to pursue a career in a related field.
- When you are in university and doing a degree you will have to do a lot of research projects. This will help you to increase your research skills and will help you to increase your chances of getting the job.
- The biggest advantage of going to the university is the networking opportunities it has. You will find various people when you are at university. Universities will also help you to increase your professional network.
- Going to the university will help you to socialize. You will be able to communicate with others efficiently. When you go to the university you will get new responsibilities that will help you to become independent.
- Every University offers a lot of internships in part-time jobs. This will help you to gain the desired working experience. If you are taking up a degree in a more professional subject, then you may find yourself in a year where you will be gaining experience for that particular year.
- You get new friends. Though if you are unable to make new friends you can always find out ways for it.
Following are the drawbacks of going to the universities-
- Getting up education nowadays has become too expensive. This means your parents may have to give big mount of money for university. If you can pay for university then it is ok but if you can’t then you will end up going into big debt.
- Going to University means committing a long time to your studies. Depending upon the stream you have chosen you will be spending 3 to 8 years of your life studying.
- Taking up a degree and going to University will never guarantee you a job. The only guarantee that the university will give you is getting a degree if you have the heart to pass it.
- When you are in university you will need to do a lot of hard work and there will be more project submissions. This will give you less time to go out and enjoy yourself with your friends and family.
- If you have to move away from your home to study at the university you may find it tough. Many students feel homesick and thus end up quitting the university.
- Sometimes you may not be able to understand the content of the course you have taken. Also, you have to deal with an intense workload like midterm exams, project submissions, etc. It will again take more of your time and you may not get enough time to relax.
Is it worth going to university?
You must have heard older people saying if you go to university you will have a bright future. But is this reality? Now as you have read about all the pros and cons of going to a university you can conclude for yourself whether you should go to the university or not. Starting with the main benefit of going to the university is to land the perfect job.
If you are a person who loves to study then you should definitely go to the university, earn a degree and get a high-paying job. This doesn’t mean that if you do not go to the university you will not get a high-paying job. In fact, with the current change in time, you will get a job based on your skills and not your degree.
However, the best part of going to University is the networking opportunity it offers. You can find a lot of professionals that will help you in your journey and may help you in getting your job.
Should you go to the university or not, will depend upon you. To decide you must make sure to compare all the benefits and drawbacks of going to university. If you are thinking of building up your professional network then you must go to the university. You will not only be able to build up a professional network but may find some great opportunities for yourself. In addition to it, if you can pay for an expensive education then it’s cool, otherwise, you may get into a big debt. Therefore consider your financial conditions before deciding to go to the university.