Should You Drop Out of University?
Dropping out of the university has both the best and adverse effects on you. Thus it is very important to know each aspect of dropping out and then making a decision of dropping out. Here we will help you to know if you should drop out of university or not and also what is the reason you may want to drop out the college.
- There are different factors to dropping out of the university like a second plan, financial instability, lack of support, etc.
- More than 15% of total students drop out of university each year.
- You must only decide after knowing its advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore we will recommend you read in detail till the end so that you do not miss any of the crucial information regarding it.
Should you drop out of university?
Each student is unique and therefore it is difficult to answer whether you should drop out or not. Different individuals have various reasons to leave, and that’s fine. Of course, it’s a personal decision and only you can make it. However, there are various reasons why you may want to drop out of university or college. Only you can decide whether or not to drop out, and you should not be forced to do so by your family or friends.
If you decide to drop out, you have several other options if you want to continue your education or begin working. Although you must only drop out after thinking about all pros and cons of dropping out and after talking with your family and friends. If you are still confused, try talking to a counsellor who can help you in this matter.
Pros of dropping out
- If you have some nicer plans for yourself you should drop out. Dropping out of the university will help you to focus on it. Though you must only drop out if you think this is a successful plan for yourself.
- You can do things to explore your interest. Many students get into a course that does not excite them due to family pressure or other reasons. Due to this, they are unable to focus on their interest. Thus dropping out of the university will help you to focus on it.
- Dropping out will help you to explore more learning options so that you can gain new skills. This will help you to become ready for getting into different job roles. If you are in the medical school, you may think of dropping out due to this reason.
Cons of dropping out
- Once you drop out of the university you will not get the degree. This means that you should be very sure that whatever the reason for dropping out of college is successful.
- If you have taken any student loan you will need to repay it back even if you have dropped out of the university.
- There will be people who may disrespect you for dropping out of the university. Thus if you are thinking of dropping out of the university be prepared for the fun the people will make of you for dropping out.
- Obviously dropping out of college means that you may not be able to enjoy university life anymore.
Is it common to drop out of university?
Yes, every university has its dropping-out policy and according to various reports every year more than 15% of total students drop out from various universities. There is no fun in taking a class that no more interests you. Thus there are many students who in the end drop out of the uni as they consider it as a scam. Many students drop out of university due to various reasons. Although you must drop out of the university only if you are sure that you need to drop out.
Why do people drop out of university?
There are various reasons why people may drop out of college-
1. Financial reason
This is the biggest reason why most students drop out. There is no doubt that at present time the tuition fee of universities have been so high that most of us are unable to study. It is because you may have other expenses that can add to your budget. Thus financial reasons are a reason for dropping out of college. However, you may look for financial aid services if this is the reason for you to drop out. You can also look for some online schools that will help you to save the high tuition fees.
2. Wrong course
Another common reason is there are chances that you have taken a course that does not match your interest. Due to this reason, you may want to shift or change the chosen course. Dropping out of the university will help you to choose the course of your choice.
3. Lack of support
There are times you may not get the adequate amount of support you needed. The teachers, classmates, or friends in your class may not be as supportive as you expected. Due to this, you may think of dropping out of the university. Further, your professors may also not be as good at teaching as you thought and thus you are not satisfied with the course.
4. Working commitments
You may be on a working committee that you need to fulfil. Due to this, you may not be able to focus on your academics or your work. You may be in a commitment where you may need to give more working hours making it harder for you to study. Thus you may want to drop out.
5. Academically week
Universities require a lot of academic knowledge to pass the course. Thus you will need to be academically strong in order to clear the exams. There are chances that the subject you have chosen requires a lot of academic work than you expected. You may not cope with the work and thus decide to drop out of the university.
6. Unhappy with the university
Sometimes everything is perfect. There are no working commitments, no financial problems, and you are academically strong, but the university may not be up to your expectations. Every student has their own expectations from the university. You must also expect things like co-curriculum activities or active clubs, etc. The university in which you are may not have those things and thus you may want to drop out of the university.
Dropping out of college is a big step and you should take it after analyzing all the pros and cons of taking it. You must know why you may want to drop out and what will you be doing after taking the drop-out year. Though no one would decide for you you can at least talk to your friends, family, or counsellor so that they could help you decide if you should or not drop out of the university.